Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CALGARY -- Jamie Gregg went blade-to-blade with the reigning world and Olympic champi
CALGARY -- Jamie Gregg went blade-to-blade with the reigning world and Olympic champion at the opening World Cup speedskating event of the season. Dan Marino Jersey . And while the Edmonton skater earned bronze in the mens 500 metres, he was agonizingly close to standing higher on the podium. Gregg was paired with Tae-Bum Mo of South Korea, this years world champion in the distance. The two men played cat-and-mouse to start the race. Mos opening strides were quicker, but Gregg caught him at 100 metres. Their finish seemed a dead heat, but Mo actually edged Gregg by three thousandths of a second. Ronald Mulder of the Netherlands knocked Mo out of gold-medal position two pairings later in a time of 34.41 seconds. Mos time was 34.52.3 ahead of Greggs 34.52.6. Gregg will race another 500 on Sunday at the Oval and aims for a medal upgrade. "Every World Cup, including this one, in Calgary Ive won a medal so Im happy with that," Gregg said. "Theyve all been bronze so I want to make it a little better than that. Im always getting beat out by the thousandths in Calgary." Greggs bronze was Canadas lone medal on the first day of racing. He lost speed to the South Korean on the turn coming into the home stretch at the Olympic Oval. "You go into the year not really knowing who is going to go fast," Gregg said. "You see some times, but now everyone is at the World Cup and everyone has peaked, so you get to see where you are in the world a little bit. "To know that Im up there with even a less-than-ideal race, it gives me lots of confidence going forward." Sang-Hwa Lee of South Korea won the womens 500 in 39.91 seconds, which was .11 off her world record. Claudia Pechstein of Germany was the winner of the womens 3,000 metres in three minutes 59.04. Koen Verweij of the Netherlands took the mens 1,500 metres in one minute 42.78 seconds ahead of runner-up and world-record holder Shani Davis of the U.S. in 1:43.11. Denny Morrison of Fort St. John, B.C., was the world champion in the 1,500 two years ago, but broke his leg cross-country skiing midway through last season. Morrison says his leg his fully healed, but hes race rusty and finished 11th in a time of 1:44.42. "If you would have talked to me after a race like this in 2009, I would probably hardly have talked to you guys and probably would be freaking out throwing things around the change room," Morrison told reporters. "That doesnt help anything. All I can do is be motivated by what happened and use that to help me focus on what I need to do next. I dont think its discouraging. I know I have a few things to work on. Im pretty sure I can identify what they are already." The Essent ISU World Cup continues Saturday with another womens 500 metres, the mens 1,000 metres and the womens 1,500 metres. Olympic 1,000-metre champion Christine Nesbitt of London, Ont., will race that distance Sunday. The speedskaters can gain Olympic berths for their countries at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, during the first four World Cups of the 2013-14 season. Canada could take a maximum of 20 skaters to Sochi in February, but has to earn those spots through World Cup results. Nesbitt was 13th and Marsha Hudey of Regina 19th in the womens 500. Winnipegs Brittany Schussler and Ottawas Ivanie Blondin finished 13th and 16th respectively in the womens 3,000. Saskatoons Lucas Makowsky was 17th in the mens 1,500. William Dutton of Regina was 15th in the mens 500. Gregg is the son of former Edmonton Oilers defenceman Randy Gregg and two-time Olympic speed skater Kathy (Vogt) Gregg. His sister Jessica is a short-track speedskater who won Olympic silver in the relay in 2010. Jamie Gregg was eighth in the 500 in 2010. The 28-year-old captured his first World Cup gold medal in 2012 in Berlin. Hes Canadas heir-apparent to Jeremy Wotherspoon in the 500 metres, although Wotherspoon is attempting a comeback and intends to race at Olympic trials this winter. "Ill step into that role," Gregg said. "We have a lot of young guys coming up and Jeremy is also coming back to try and take it back from me so Ive got to fight him off as well. I love the competition. We have some really fast guys." Wotherspoon and Gregg are in-laws, as Gregg is married to Jeremys sister Danielle Wotherspoon. Speed Skating Canada will hold Olympic trials in late December and early January in Calgary, but some countries will choose their Olympic speedskaters based on their results at World Cups. Pechstein says shes qualified for her sixth Winter Games because of her victory in the 3,000. The 41-year-old wants a 10th Olympic medal in Sochi. Shes won five gold, two silver and a pair of bronze in an Olympic career that started in 1992 in Albertville, France. Pechstein did not race in Vancouver. The International Skating Union banned her for two years in 2009 based on irregularities in her blood, although she hadnt tested positive for illegal substances. The most successful German Olympian fought her sanction in both the Court of Arbitration for Sport and in Swiss federal court, but was not allowed to race in Vancouver. Pechstein was the 5,000 metre champion in 2002 and would have competed against Canadas Clara Hughes, the 2006 Olympic champion. Hughes won bronze in Vancouver. Pechstein resumed winning world championship medals in 2011 after serving her suspension. She is currently suing the ISU for loss of income. "When I get a victory, its good for me and I think the ISU doesnt like it," Pechstein said. "Its also good motivation for me. "For me, I can go so relaxed. I never used doping, never used any illegal things. This I know. This is a nice comeback with this today and last season and two years ago too. For me, I can stand up every morning and look in the mirror and Im clear. This is the important thing." Mike Gesicki Dolphins Jersey . Cleveland released the troubled wide receiver on Wednesday, an expected ending after Bess was arrested in January for assaulting a law enforcement officer at an airport and other bizarre behaviour. Jerome Baker Jersey . -- Rory McIlroy birdied his last two holes Thursday for a 7-under 63 to take the lead after one round of the Honda Classic. http://www.shopdolphinsauthenticnfl.com/...te-Jersey/ . Jason Zucker and Matt Cooke also scored for Minnesota, which has won five of six. Kuemper made five saves in the first, nine in the second, and nine in the third. The rookies best save came with 2:17 left in the third period when he denied former Wild forward Matt Cullen from just outside of the crease on the right side.ATLANTA - Jeff Teague says he never doubted the Atlanta Hawks would be in the playoffs. Even with Al Horfords season-ending injury in December and a 1-14 stretch in February and March, the Hawks made the Eastern Conference field with two games remaining. "Im happy for all the guys," Teague said. "We worked so hard all year. Injuries and everything that can happen to a team happened. We were able to still make it to the playoffs." Teague scored 25 points, Lou Williams had 18 of his 23 points in the fourth quarter and the Hawks earned the Easts final playoff spot with a 98-85 victory over the Miami Heat on Saturday night. Atlantas third straight victory eliminated the New York Knicks from playoff contention. Williams scored the Hawks last 12 points. LeBron James finished with 27 points and Dwyane Wade, in his first game since missing nine straight with a sore left hamstring, scored 24 for Miami. The two-time defending champion Heat, who have lost three of four, gave up the ground they gained in the standings Friday by beating Indiana at home and taking a one-half game lead over the Pacers. Miami and Indiana are now tied atop the Eastern Conference with 54-26 records. The Heats 85 points were their third-fewest this season. "Its not finished," James said. "I see the standings. Theres a couple games left and the seeding is changing every day." James and Chris Bosh returned to the floor with 6:42 remaining and Miami trailing 81-72, but DeMarre Carroll stole the ball from Bosh and Mike Scotts fastbreak dunk put Atlanta ahead by 11 with 6:09 remaining. Heat coach Erik Spoelstra called timeout to settle down his team, but James missed a jumper and Teague hit a free throw to make it 84-72. James hit a 3 two possessions later, but Teague drove to the rim again for an 11-point lead, and Miami never got closer than eight the rest of the way. Wade finished the first half with 16 points, going 7 for 7 from the field in just 11 minutes. He began the third quarter with an offensive foul, a missed jumper and hit one of two free throwws, but he finished strong before sitting out the final 5:46 to rest. Dan Marino Dolphins Jersey. "It was good, better than I can envision," Wade said. "When youre out so long, youre just thinking of getting your wind back. I think the best thing that happened was the first play of the game, getting that block and then LeBron kind of holding up and letting me get the first dunk. From there, I kind of was into the game." The Hawks never trailed after Teagues 12-footer made it 53-51 early in the third. Carroll finished with 17 points, and Paul Millsap added 11. Scott scored 12 points in a reserve role, joining Williams to help Atlantas bench outscore Miamis 35-8. Bosh finished with 11 points. "Needless to say that was a tough second half," Spoelstra said. "We couldnt get it going on either side of the court. Its disappointing to have this type of performance on the road." Miami visits Washington on Monday and end the regular season at home Wednesday against Philadelphia. The Pacers host Oklahoma City on Sunday and visit Orlando on Wednesday to close the regular season. Atlanta hosts Charlotte on Monday and visits Milwaukee on Wednesday. As the No. 8 seed, the Hawks will play either Miami or Indiana in the first round of the playoffs. "Im happy that we get to play more games and I get to talk more about improving and getting better each practice," Atlanta coach Mike Budenholzer said. "We want to build something here. Miami has been in the Finals for three years in a row. There are a lot of teams that have had a lot of success. It takes time to build your habits." NOTES: A moment of silence was held before the game following the death Friday of Lou Hudson, the six-time All-Star with the Hawks who retired in 1979 and still ranks as the franchises third-leading scorer. ... The Hawks are wearing a black stripe on their uniform to acknowledge Hudsons passing. ... The Heat dropped to 22-18 on the road. ... The Hawks improved to 24-16 at home. ... Atlanta is in the playoffs for the seventh straight year, longest active streak in the East. Wholesale Jerseys 2019 China Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Wholesale Authentic Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys 2018 Cheap NFL Womens Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '